- Create a custom URL field on the base object of your Document Action.
- Copy the API name.
- Go to the Document Action and paste this API name (without quotation or merge field brackets around it) into the field labeled Save URL to Salesforce Field.
- Go to a record and generate a document using a custom button or automation.
- After the document is generated, the custom URL field will be populated with the Google Doc URL.
- Merge the custom URL field into the body of an email template. This essentially merges the link into the body of the email. Or, go to the record and manually copy/paste the URL from the field into your email.
- The recipient can click the URL link to open the Google Doc and, depending on the sharing settings set for the recipient, view/comment/edit.
- This feature cannot be used with document action feature auto delete google doc after merge as you need to keep the URL in order to access it.
- This feature can only work if 1) User generates document manually or 2) User generates document using automation. Using Apex method to generate document will not update field defined in rsdoc__Save_in_Field__c. This will need to be done manually in the Apex code.