You can configure the Opero Fax app to automatically send faxes. There are two ways of doing this:
Automate Faxing Based on Attachments
The standard fax automation tool provided by Opero Fax is based on the Attachment insert and filename. You can configure the app to automatically fax a PDF that gets attached to any record. The most common way to generate the PDF document is with the Opero Documents app. With Opero Documents, the default format of generated documents is Files. So if you’d like to use this feature, you will need to follow the steps in this article to change the format to Attachments.
If combining with a document generation tool, it would allow you to customize the fax with Salesforce merge data and then Opero Fax would then pick up the attachment and create a Sent Fax record. See steps below for configuring auto faxing:
- Check User Permissions
- Make sure that all Opero Fax users have the “Send Outbound Messages” permission (under “System Permissions”) enabled for their individual profile or with a permission set.
- If this is not enabled, they will not be able to send outbound faxes with the Opero Fax automation feature; however, they will still be able to send faxes manually.
- Open the App and go to the Fax Configuration tab
- In Lighting, you can go to the app launcher and search for the tab. In Classic, go to All Tabs.
- Create a New Field Setting
- In the Field Setting section, click New.
- Complete Section: Edit Field Setting
- Setting Name: Give this setting a name that provides some description to you like “Auto Send Fax to Contact”. It could be much more specific if configuring for a certain type of process or document. Overall, the Setting Name is just for informational purposes.
- Select Organization Fax Number: Select the Object the Fax is related to.
- Object: Select the lookup field on the Sent Fax object that provides the relationship to that object.
- Sent Fax Relationship: Select the lookup field on the Received Fax object that provides the relationship to that object.
- Received Fax Relationship: Indicate the location of the “send to” Fax Number. You can reference a field in the object or the fax attachment filename.
- Fax Number: Indicate how the app will locate the fax number, either a field reference or attachment filename.
- Field Reference: If the fax number is in a field, select “In Object Field” then select this field.
- Attachment Filename: If the fax number is in the attachment filename, then select this field and indicate where to find the fax number in the filename using “before” or “after” and the specific text.
- For example, you could have a process that creates an attachment with the filename “FAX-837-738-3827.pdf” where “FAX-” is always consistent and the number after is always the fax number. Then you can select “after” and put in “FAX-” in the text field.
- Autosend When Fax Attachment Filename: Indicate what the filename of the attachment related to this object should contain in order to auto send the fax. Use the matching criteria of “starts with”, “contains”, or “ends with” and input the specific text.
- For example, the file could always start with the word “Fax”. Once you attach a PDF file to the object record with this same pattern (in this example, filename starting with the word “Fax”) the attachment will be auto faxed to the specified recipient.
- Complete Section: Barcode Configurator
- Barcodes are optional. They allow the recipient of the fax to send a response, which will be associated with the original record.
- Indicate the placement of the barcode on your fax document that will remain in the same place each time a fax is sent with this field setting. If you would like to preview how the barcodes would look on an example PDF image, you can select a PDF file from your documents or upload one using the lookup glass next to Fax PDF File.
- The first barcode is in the default position.
- To move and resize, you can click on the barcode and drag, or use the controls on the left.
- Add another barcode to the document by clicking the Add Barcode button. This is optional but recommended. Sometimes when faxes come back an area of the fax gets distorted or has a hair in it. Having two barcodes on the page increases the chance of successfully reading one.
You are now ready to automate faxing based on attachments. Upon inserting a new Attachment, the Opero Fax trigger will automatically read the filename and, if it matches the rule, will automatically create a Sent Fax record and fax the attachment.
Note: If you are mass updating multiple records at once and this results in more than one Attachment, then the Opero Fax Fax trigger will detect the need for Batch Mode and will create the Sent Fax record and check the box “Sent with Outbound Message” and a Opero Fax workflow rule will send outbound message to Opero Fax server to send the fax. This is more of an FYI.
Automate Faxing by Creating a Sent Fax Record
If you do not want to automate based on the Attachment insert and filename, you can automate sending a fax by creating a Sent Fax record. You can create a Sent Fax record using Flow or Apex. How you create the record depends on whether your org uses Attachments or Files. Create the Sent Fax record with the following values:
- Status = Generating Cover Sheet
- Cover Sheet = None, Standard, or Custom
- Cover Sheet Template = Document Action Salesforce Id
Once the Sent Fax record is created, you can add additional actions to support your business processes. For example, once the Sent Fax record is created and the fax is sent, update a custom status field on the related record’s base object to equal “Sent”.
If you’d like to integrate Opero Documents with Opero Fax, then create a Flow or Apex trigger that creates the Sent Fax record when the Document Request status equals “Complete” and the Attachment ID exists.
In order to ensure your users have the permissions they need for faxing, review the Opero Fax Basic Configuration article. Similarly, if you have integrated with Opero Documents, we advise that you review the Opero Documents Basic Configuration article.
|FIELD NAME||API NAME||DESCRIPTION|
|Fax Number||efaxapp__Fax_Number__c||This is the number to which the fax will be sent.|
|Organization Fax Number||efaxapp__Org_Fax_Number__c||This can be any fax number assigned to the org.|
|Cover Sheet||efaxapp__Cover_Sheet__c||Picklist values include ‘None’, ‘Standard’, ‘Custom’, ‘External’.|
|Cover Sheet Template||efaxapp__Cover_Sheet_Template__c||If Cover Sheet is “Custom” set this to the name of the Document Action you will use to generate the coversheet, e.g., GDT-0000012. This is an integration with Opero Documents. See article Configure a Custom Coversheet.|
|Subject||efaxapp__Subject__c||Any text to define a subject for the coversheet or about this fax for reference.|
|Comments||efaxapp__Comments__c||Optional text to define any comments for coversheet or notes about the fax.|
|Status||efaxapp__Status__c||Set to “Generating Cover Sheet” if you have set Cover Sheet to Standard or Custom. Otherwise set to “Sending”.|
|Attachment ID||efaxapp__Attachment_ID__c||Leave blank if “Cover Sheet” is “Standard”, “Custom”, or “External”. Otherwise, set the Salesforce ID of the File or Attachment.|
|Attachment ID2||efaxapp__Attachment_ID2__c||If “Cover Sheet” is “Standard”, “Custom”, or “External”, then provide the Content Version Id for your first file in this field.|
|Attachment ID3 thru AttachmentID10||efaxapp__Attachment_ID3__c … efaxapp__Attachment_ID10__c||Use these fields to set the Content Version Id of any additional attachments. You can send a max of 10 attachments in one fax with no cover sheet, or a max of 9 attachments with a cover sheet.|
|Barcode Position from Left||efaxapp__Barcode_Position_Left__c||Sets the position of the QR code from left edge of the document in pixels. Expects an integer.|
|Barcode Position from Top||faxapp__Barcode_Position_Top__c||Sets the position of the QR code from top edge of the document in pixels. Expects an integer.|
|Barcode Size Width||efaxapp__Barcode_Size_Width__c||Sets the QR code width in pixels. Expects an integer.|
|Additional Lookups and Custom Fields||You can set any other lookup fields included with the app, any custom lookups, or any custom fields on the Sent Fax object.|
|Parent ID||efaxapp__Parent_ID__c||If Cover Sheet picklist field is set to “Standard”, then Parent ID field = Recipient’s Salesforce ID.|
|Send Date||efaxapp__Send_Date__c||This is a required field. Field type is Date/Time.|